During the height of the coronavirus pandemic, everybody began paying more attention to the cleanliness of surfaces in homes and workplaces. However, for laptop owners, few items get touched more often than their keyboards and touchscreens. Laptop cleaning only takes a few minutes and some simple supplies, so everybody should make this easy task a regular part of their schedule.
Why Keep Laptops Clean?
In addition to preventing the spread of germs, GFCGlobal
advises computer users that keeping laptops clean will protect the device against damaging contaminants and help maintain its appearance. A little attention ensures the laptop looks nice and functions well for a long time.
Supplies for a Clean Laptop
- Microfiber cloths
- Disposable dental brushes
- Antibacterial dish soap
- Lukewarm water
- A can of compressed air
Specialized cleaning products for computers work well too. Avoid any cleaners with bleach or ammonia, but feel free to substitute diluted vinegar for dish soap.
How to Clean a Laptop
To get started, shut down and unplug the laptop. Place one of the microfiber cloths on a stable surface and set the laptop on top of it. While working, use as light a touch as possible to avoid accidental damage from too much pressure. Also, take care with liquids to avoid spills. In addition, dampen the cloth as little as possible to prevent dripping.
Follow these simple steps to safely clean a laptop in no time:
- Clean between keys with canned air: Follow the instructions on the can of condensed air to clean between keys. Don’t hold the can too close to the keys to avoid condensation. If the can gets cold, let it rest for a moment to further prevent condensation.
- Finish cleaning the keyboard and case: Gently run the dental brush over problem spots if the air doesn’t completely clean between the keys. Add a squirt of dish soap to a cup of water, lightly dampen the cloth, and then use gentle pressure to clean the keys and laptop surface.
- Dust the outside of ports: Again, apply gentle pressure with the dental brush to remove dust from visible parts of the laptop’s ports. Avoid getting moisture in any laptop ports.
- Clean the laptop screen: Start by wiping the laptop’s screen with a dry microfiber cloth. Apply very light pressure and support the back of the case to avoid pushing it back. If a dry cloth fails to clean the screen, try barely moistening it with the water and dishwasher soap solution. If that still fails, resort to a specialized screen cleaner, and follow the instructions on the package.
Common Laptop Cleaning Mistakes to Avoid
According to PC Magazine
, rules for safe laptop cleaning include using as little pressure as possible, never picking the laptop up by its open lid, using both hands to handle the laptop, and keeping open liquids far away.
How to Ensure the Laptop Stays Protected
Even the most careful laptop owners may experience computer problems from time to time. The most common accidents involve drops and spilled liquids. Of course, any computer might suffer from wear, component failures, or defects that appear after the manufacturer’s warranty ends. Even tidy laptop owners find it difficult to prevent dust and other contaminants from getting inside the case where it can damage fans, chips, and other parts.
Laptop owners should protect their devices from accidents and contaminants with an Upsie extended laptop warranty. Upsie offers clear policies that explain how Upsie laptop insurance works
. Customers have up to 60 days after purchasing a laptop to purchase a warranty and gain access to 24-7 claims services and competitive warranty prices. Everyone can benefit from the protection of an Upsie laptop extended warranty.
Learn More About Laptops: