With the ongoing impact of the global chip shortage making it difficult to find popular new laptop models, consumers should consider refurbished laptops. Most prominent manufacturers and many retailers have their own resale programs for pre-owned machines. The sources of the used computers can include laptops people traded in on a newer computer or devices with defects that needed factory repairs. Credible sellers of these pre-sold laptops will ensure the machines work up to their original specifications, and they will also offer a limited warranty to back up their work.
Pros and Cons of Buying Refurbished Laptop Computers
Besides availability, this list highlights excellent reasons to consider buying refurbished computers:
- Refurbished laptops may cost hundreds of dollars less than a comparable PC purchased new.
- Refurbished computers from reputable sellers need to undergo stringent testing for certification, so buyers should expect a good experience.
- In addition, sellers will offer a short-term limited warranty to cover any problems the buyer discovers.
- It is a sustainable buying choice since purchasing refurbished computers helps keep them out of landfills and reduces waste.
On the downside, people may have traded in these old computers because of ongoing problems. And the refurbishing problem might not always address them. The limited warranty for pre-owned computers usually only lasts 30 to 90 days. So it’s essential for buyers to ensure the machine performs well before the short-term contract for repairs expires. Pairing your refurbished laptop with a third-party extended warranty company
can extend your peace of mind to up to three years.
Also, refurbished computers probably won’t offer the most advanced specs, so they may not satisfy computer users who need premium processing or graphics power.
Can Refurbished Laptops Offer Good Value?
A refurbished laptop from a trusted source can provide great value. That’s particularly true in these times of shortages and rising prices. Some things to consider about the advantages of refurbished laptops include:
- Even if a refurbished laptop doesn’t offer the latest tech, it will probably provide plenty of processing and graphics performance to suit most people who want to buy a budget-friendly laptop.
- Because refurbished machines cost less than new ones, many consumers will even have an opportunity to upgrade the specs over what they could have afforded on a new laptop.
According to forecasts from The Manufacturer
, refurbished laptop buyers can rest assured. Forecasts expect the market for refurbished laptop computers to grow by about 11 percent each year, reaching $4.9 billion in 2027.
Extended Warranties for Refurbished Laptops
Upsie’s extended warranties offer robust protection at a surprisingly affordable price. For example, Upsie’s warranties cost up to 70 percent less than warranties sold by retailers, refurbishers, or manufacturers. Best of all, Upsie offers extended warranties for refurbished computers
that come with at least a 30-day seller’s warranty.
New or pre-owned laptops enjoy protection against wear, accidents, and defects. Upsie also has claims representatives waiting by the phone to help customers 24-7. These reps will help customers get their laptops fixed promptly with a choice between local and shipped repairs.
Customers can purchase an Upsie warranty for new and refurbished laptops bought in the last 60 days.
Learn More About Laptops:
* This article is over 6 months old and may or may not be updated.