According to Statista
, in February 2022, “Wearable electronic devices have quickly become an integral segment of the consumer electronics industry.” The article goes on to state that “Smartwatches are one of the most popular wearables categories globally and are expected to reach shipments of more than a quarter of a billion units by 2025.”
As you can see, you are far from alone if you are planning to buy, or already own, a high-quality smartwatch. You’ve probably checked out all the top brands and their best lines to determine which one is right for your lifestyle and goals.
After all this work, hopefully you already got an extended smartwatch warranty
. Even so, it’s always good to learn how to care for your investment daily. Let’s look at some smartwatch care and maintenance tips to keep your Android, Apple, or other smartwatch running in peak condition.
How to Care for Your Smartwatch
Just like your car, home, and health, it’s important to take good care of your smartwatch. This is especially true if you use it to manage your care, home, and health. According to Lance Whitney at CNET
, “The Apple Watch
functions as a high-tech timekeeper and a health and fitness tracker, and that’s exactly how a large group of people surveyed are using it.”
The same is true for Samsung and the numerous other brands producing these compact life management devices. Much like their larger smartphone counterparts, smartwatches have become virtual assistants for busy students, professionals, and fitness enthusiasts. The benefit of smartwatches, of course, is that you can enjoy the same smartphone technology in an even smaller and more convenient package. You don’t need to worry about finding a case or fitting your smartwatch into your pocket or purse. All the connectivity you want is right there with the flick of your wrist.
Just as you take steps to take care of your smartphone, you should do the same for your smartwatch. Let’s look at some top smartwatch maintenance tips for your device, focusing on a few top brands.
Samsung Smartwatch Care and Maintenance
Samsung has designed its smartwatches for durability, but as they will tell you, it’s important that you give your device some extra care. Here are some things to do to keep your Samsung smartwatch in peak shape
- Keep tabs on the health of your device by periodically checking the About feature to check on its gear, battery life, storage space, and memory.
- Boost your battery life by switching over to power-saving mode to reduce the drain on your power source. Keep in mind that once you set your smartwatch to power-saving mode, it might automatically turn off certain apps, dim the screen, and limit your watch’s performance. If your battery life is extremely low, you might even move to the watch-only feature, which disables all smart functions.
- Clear some space by going to your storage area to clear out things like images taking up too much space, audio files, unnecessary documents, and apps you don’t use frequently or have stopped using at all. Once you do so, check to see how much space you have cleared.
- Clear out memory by turning off apps running in the background.
For external care, do the following:
- Clean your watch with a dry cloth and make sure to dry it each time after you exercise or shower.
- Remove substances like sunscreen, sun tan lotion, or any oils, using a soap-free detergent, then rinse and dry your smartwatch immediately.
Apple Smartwatch Care and Maintenance
You can apply many of the same general care tips for internal functions to your Apple smartwatch. While you might need to go about it in a slightly different way, the idea is the same for saving battery life, memory, and storage space for other operating systems.
Externally, here are some care and maintenance considerations for your Apple Watch:
- Use a 70% isopropyl alcohol wipe or disinfecting wipe to gently wipe the exterior surfaces. However, if you have a fabric or leather band, disregard this recommendation, and wipe it off with a dry cloth. Further, avoid submerging your Apple Watch in any cleaning agents, choosing to wipe it to control the level of moisture touching the device.
- Avoid using soaps, abrasive materials, cleaning products, heat sources, and compressed air to clean your Apple Watch.
Buying an Insurance Plan Is One of the Best Things You Can Do to Take Care of Your Smartwatch
Regardless of how dedicated you are to the care and maintenance of your smartwatch—no matter which brand you own—accidents and manufacturer’s defects happen. Make sure you invest in an Upsie extended insurance plan
to cover any unforeseen issues that arise with your smartwatch. It will give you peace of mind now and save you money later when you need a repair.
Learn More About Smartwatches: