At first glance, Upsie and Allstate SquareTrade extended warranties might look similar. Both companies offer protection plans for electronics and appliances, and these extended warranties cover a variety of malfunctions and accidents. Both companies also allow online registration. Take a closer look at Upsie and SquareTrade to determine which extended warranty company offers a better deal.
Who Needs an Extended Warranty?
Appliances and electronics usually come with a limited warranty from the retailer or manufacturer. These plans help assure customers that they will receive an item free from defects and cosmetic damage but almost always expressly exclude damage caused by environmental conditions or accidents. Also, limited warranties for many products only last for 12 months or less.
This Consumer Financial Protection Bureau page
on extended warranties discusses the difference between a manufacturer's warranty and an extended warranty for vehicles. Still, the information generally applies to other products too. The key takeaways include:
- Consumers should make sure they clearly understand the terms of any warranties. This advice applies to protection plans that come with their purchases or that they purchase later.
- Consumers have the right to choose to buy an extended warranty from any company, so nothing compels the purchase to buy a protection plan that the manufacturer or retailer suggests. Very often, big-box retailers push these plans to generate additional revenue.
How Do Upsie and Allstate SquareTrade Warranties Compare?
Both of these extended warranty companies offer slightly different terms for various products. This general overview should offer a starting point to compare them in detail for specific products, like smartphones
, TV sets
, or computers
For almost all kinds of electronics or appliances, Upsie costs less, and Upsie also charges a lower (and sometimes $0) deductible.
Separate from Upsie's other warranties, Upsie also offers smartphone subscription warranties that are affordable and comprehensive. These warranties cost just $9.99 per month and include accidental damage protection.
In addition, Upsie's subscription warranties have a $0 screen repair deductible. Note that Upsie's subscription warranty is different from the other warranty options offered. The low monthly cost and low deductibles make it the best choice for smartphones.
Upsie also offers non-subscription warranties for many other household electronics. Here's why you should choose Upsie over Allstate for laptops, tablets, and headphones:
- Repair limits per year: For some items, SquareTrade imposes limits on the number of repairs. This limitation can make warranties a lot less valuable. For instance, damage to both earbuds will automatically count as two repairs.
- Claims and customer service by phone: Upsie and Allstate allow customers to make online claims, but Upsie also offers a 24-7 claims service from live representatives.
- The choice between local or mail-in repairs: Allstate requires mail-in repairs for most products, but Upsie gives customers a choice between mail-in or certified local repairs. For mail-in repairs, Upsie pays for two-day postage to the repair center and back home again.
For the types of items that people rely upon every day, like smartphones and PCs, many customers will feel better about taking their products to a local repair shop than shipping them off to an unfamiliar service center.
How to Buy the Best Extended Warranty
According to TechRepublic
, over 60 percent of smartphone owners will delay repairs because of the expense. For example, even a screen repair can cost as much as $329, and the bill for other repairs may amount to more. Investing in an extended warranty prevents customers from paying high upfront costs for repairs and protects devices from damage.
To purchase an Upsie warranty, visit the Upsie extended warranty page
to find the type of product. Upsie’s plans are clear and simple, making it easy for customers to decide which plan works best for their device. In addition, customers can purchase their warranties entirely online.
Enjoy robust coverage, responsive customer service, and peace of mind after purchasing an Upsie warranty.
Learn More About Warranties: